My love of thrillers and mysteries started with the Nancy Drew series and have lasted me well into adulthood. I particularly love anything that’s got a surprise twist in the last few pages! Bonus points are given if there are points in the book that literally give me goosebumps. I read FAR too many last year and here are my top 10 favorite in no particular order:
- Verity: Colleen Hoover
- Look For Me: Lisa Gardner (truly I LOVE anything by Lisa Gardner – she’s actually a local here and seriously one of the nicest women I’ve ever met!)
- The Other Woman: Sandie Jones
- The Silent Patient: Alex Michaelides
- Long Bright River: Liz Moore
- The Art Forger: B. A. Shapiro
- Dark Places: Gillian Flynn
- The Lying Game: Ruth Ware
- The Couple Next Door: Shari Lapena
- The Luckiest Girl Alive: Jessica Knoll
Anything that Ruth Ware writes is creepy AF & Gillian Flynn has the creepiest brain of all time. Also – I definitely wish I could think 87 steps ahead like she does!
The top two creepiest books on this list were Verity and The Silent Patient. I literally got the chills at one point in Verity and actually looked over my shoulder because the plot twist was SO GOOD. I’ve never been so enthralled in a book that it feels like I’m IN it. The Silent Patient got me as well – I remember standing on the curb at Logan Airport when I read the twist and literally GASPING out loud at it – people were staring at me because it was so loud! Any book that can pull you in like that is a complete winner.
Let me know if you’ve read any of these and what you thought!!